RSS

It's a Great Day for a Hot Bowl of Oatmeal

It is below zero here and wouldn't it be nice to wake up and have a hot breakfast? Too bad I used ALL the oatmeal in the house for Homemade Granola. My youngest just asked what we would leave out for the reindeer this year. Uh...well, not the usual oatmeal. I hope Rudolph likes Granola!

I used Ball jars I had on hand, recycled other jars, I even had saved some Prego spaghetti sauce jars this year. Oatmeal for everyone! Here is the recipe if you want it:

3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Oil
1/3 cup Honey
5 cups Oatmeal
1/2 cup Dried Milk
1 t. Cinnamon

Mix Brown Sugar, Honey and Oil in a small pan on the stove and cook till sugar dissolves.
Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick spray and put Oatmeal, Cinnamon and Milk Powder in pan, mix.
Add hot syrup to the pan and mix.
Cook in 350 oven for 10 minutes. Mix and let cool. It helps to mix a couple times while it is cooling so it doesn't clump togetehr too much.

Store in an airtight conatiner and it will last a very long time. Seriously, when is the last time you had spoiled granola? You can add 1/2 cup Raisons, Nuts, etc after it is cooled if you wish.

One batch of Granola will fill 2 of the 1Quart size bags or two Ball/Prego jars.

At this point the kids are seriously interested in getting their gufts and Christmas cannot come soon enough for them. As for me, I like the anticipation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so crafty. I used to decorate my jars but quit. Have you ever tried to put it in clear plastic bags? Thanks for the recipe, I will fix some, can you eat it hot?
Love and Merry Christmas to you,
Nana S.

Anonymous said...

Oh Judy ... it does sound scrumptious! I do adore granola ... but I'm a gal from the cattle country of Oklahoma .. and I also have a special "connection" with Oatmeal & toast! *grin* However ... I also hope that you can forgive me for this eency fault! ((((hugs from Texas)))